Tuesday, June 23, 2009

CRATER LAKE

Who among you have not been to Crater Lake?  Me and Larry.  It is the prettiest lake I have ever seen.  It is indeed a crater that has filled with rain and snow water.  The evaporation is the same as the input each year and so it stays the same level.  It used to be a volcano thousands of years ago.  The volcano collapsed on itself and left a perfectly round, 6 mile across hole in the ground, that has filled with water that is now a bright blue lake.  (I even know why it is such a brilliant blue, but you will have to ask me before I bore you with the details.)
I don't know if any of you have ever seen "rock star" toes in flip flops in the snow.  Oh yes, the elevation is 7000 ft. so there is still snow in June.
The lake is really  this blue and Jan and I are really this beautiful.
This photo shows the snow, the little volcano sticking up out of the water, and the caldera.  You can actually see what the inside of a volcano looks like.  Amazing!
You can see the caldera really well from here.

And this is the famous Jan and Larry.  And yes, Larry is a real life cowboy.  Any of you who happen to be in the area are more than welcome to come to their house to stay for a few days.  They are excellent hosts.  I do not hesitate to recommend them.  But you should probably call first... :)

2 comments:

Angelee said...

you're funny

Dava_Hudson said...

ooo. i live you rockstar toes. im getting some myself. looks like you vacation was fun. :)